Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cage the Elephant - Back Against the Wall

I am a big fan of music. A group I really like that is probably at the edge of metal/noise/punk that I like in my music is the band "Cage the Elephant." A video of theirs that I really like is from a song that is making its rounds on the radio titled "Back Against the Wall."

The group is an interesting one because two of the members of the band grew up in a religious cult. The video shows "demons" who, despite the best efforts of the hero, continue to multiply as the song goes on. It reminded me very much of Matthew 12: 43-45, which reads:

"When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order.

Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”


Although the background art is very punkish, I think the message is an interesting one, and I can see how someone coming from a cult background might never have learned what one is supposed to fill one's soul with once one has swept it clean. Thanks be to God for Christ and His Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment