Monday, May 17, 2010

10 AM Malachy Mass - our "visitor"

For all who are wondering what went down at the 10 am Mass with our "guest speaker" I thought I'd post something briefly. I was going to attach it to the video of my homily, which I hope to get online today, but I figured I'd clear this up now.

The short answer - I have no idea what was going on!

I first noticed the gentleman when he stood up at the presentation of the gifts and got real close to me. I couldn't make out what he was saying, but I think he wanted to put his cross on the altar. I told him he needed to just please have a seat. Later, at the sign of peace, he came into the sanctuary and was waving his cross to show it to everyone but he sat down again. The capper was his 1 minute speech right before the announcements (or was it after, I can't even remember it was so discombobulating!). I don't know exactly what his talk was about, but I was trying to usher him to his seat, but he wouldn't budge. Finally, I think he got the hint, and had a seat.

After Mass, I talked to him briefly about how he can't be doing what he did, but he wasn't really listening. It was fairly clear after speaking with him that there were some mental problems going on. I learned this morning from a teacher here at Ritter that these guys eventually had a restraining order slapped on them at Our Lady of the Greenwood.

I told people afterwards - "That's what I get for preaching about how the Mass isn't supposed to be entertaining!"

Let's pray for those two men!

1 comment:

  1. Father - Thanks for mentioning this incident. I thought maybe I was the only one that didn't know what was going on that Sunday.

    ReplyDelete