Sunday, December 22, 2013

December 22nd - O Rex Gentium



a reminder that these O Antiphons are performed by the monks of St. Meinrad as part of a WONDERFUL collection of Advent and Christmas music.  I can't recommend the CD enough!  Good Advent music is hard to find, and there are some wonderfully prayerful selections on this CD.  Order a copy today and support a great monastery by clicking on this link: http://store.saintmeinrad.edu/scholarshop/music/gregorian-chant-schola-advent-christmas/c-25/c-77/p-480

For the 22nd of December, we sing to the "King of the Nations"

First the Latin:O Rex Gentium, et desideratus earum,lapisque angularis, qui facis utraque unum:veni, et salva hominem,quem de limo formasti.
 
English:  O King of the Nations, whom they had long awaited, the cornerstone who make both sides one, come and save mankind, whom you fashioned out of clay.

This title of Christ evokes the same aspect of Christ that we celebrate on "Christ the King Sunday

A few days ago the Church cried out "O Adonai" - which is that aspect of God that is Lord of all things.  Today we sing out to the "King of the Nations" here thinking more particularly about how Christ is not just the King "up there in Heaven" but is also now a ruler of the people here on Earth.

We pray that his Kingship may be more realized this day, and that we and our family and friends and the whole world will offer him more tribute and honor today!

1 comment:

  1. I love this cd.I bought it years ago.I went to St.Meinrad College for 4 years and got my BA in Philosophy.I got to pray with the community often.I love hearing the same voices I heard live so many times come from my speakers...and the epic acoustics of the Archabbey church.

    I graduated in 1990.

    Thanks for posting it!

    Michael Brown.

    PS..I went with some of my brothers in the college on Saturdays to pray the Rosary in front of the abortion mill in Louisville..spiritual combat galore.

    Please pray for me as I will pray for you.Peace.

    ReplyDelete