Thursday, September 21, 2017
How to overturn Humanae Vitae
Humanae Vitae is one of those pivotal documents in the history of the Church. Everyone thought the Church was going to cave on the issue of artificial contraception. Basically every other Christian denomination had caved.
And then the Church didn't and said artificial contraception for the purposes of impacting/influencing conception is ALWAYS evil.
It is, by all sober analysis, one of the most prophetic documents in the history of the Church as it lays out the serious things that would happen if contraception became commonly used.
Many still can't believe the document happened.
Many have stated a desire to overturn the document
Here are steps to follow if you want to overturn the document
1) Establish a group of experts to go back and look at all the source materials, letters, behind the scenes correspondence, etc. that lead up to Humanae Vitae's publication.
2) If at all possible, don't let anyone know this study group has been put together.
3) This process of discovery should come out with lots of complicated verbiage, giving the impression that the only people who TRULY understand Humanae Vitae's construction are the privileged few who have been able to look at all the "evidence".
4) Make sure that the discovery process mirrors the historical/critical process that has been used so often to deconstruct the Bible. In having experts deconstruct the Bible, it was really important that it was done by scholars, so that simple peasants and lay people could not mount any sort of argument. What worked with deconstructing the Bible were things like "You don't understand Hebrew, but actually Jesus DIDN'T say anything about Hell" or things like "We've learned that divorce IS okay, because that part of the Gospel was written in by a guy named Burt in the late 800's."
5) In announcing the things that you are overturning in Humanae Vitae, don't actually SAY you are changing anything, whether in doctrine or in practice. Continue to emphasize that Humanae Vitae is going to be left unchanged, that it is an AMAZING document, that we love Paul VI, etc.
6) Only after all that, then come out and say, in language that is really pharisaically theological and technical in nature (impossible to understand for most believers): "Well, surprise, when we looked at how Humanae Vitae was constructed, we were able to discover that the BEST way to live out this AMAZING document is by now doing things/allowing things to happen differently. WHICH ARE ACTUALLY A BETTER WAY OF DOING/ALLOWING THINGS, AND THIS NEW APPROACH IS
a) IN LINE WITH THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF THE AUTHOR and
b) A FULFILLMENT OF EVERYTHING THAT'S EVER BEEN WRITTEN BY THE CHURCH ON THESE TOPICS
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment