Sunday, February 3, 2013

Can We Just Admit Mass is Boring?



If I were given one opportunity to preach a homily, this would be it.

Random follow up thoughts:

1) If I had someone who was thinking about joining the Church, I would not first bring them to a Mass.  I would start somewhere else, because the Mass is not something that is particularly geared toward evangelization.  If someone doesn't know what is going on, it might actually be a "turn off"

2) I am not saying music and preaching are not important...quite to the contrary...music and preaching can and should lend assistance to helping our senses grasp some iota of what IS going on.  There is difference between saying
a) our senses fail to completely grasp the reality of what is going on at Mass (what the Church says)
and
b) since our senses fail to completely grasp the reality of what is going on at Mass, we need not worry about doing anything that appeals to the senses (NOT what the Church says)