Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homily on the Transfiguration - "I Saw Dead People"



In this homily, I also forgot to mention my favorite comparison to what the Transfiguration was like for the Apostles (and what spiritual visions and experiences are like for us) - the minimarathon! My whole family is training and preparing to run the mini, and every mile or so on the minimarathon route there is a water station every mile or so. The water is something you take while you keep running. If a runner stopped at the water station and just kept drinking water the runner would only be distracted from doing what the whole race is actually about.

Likewise, I think if we receive consolations from our Lord then they are something to keep us moving forward - not to stop there or to try and cause it to happen again. If we did that, we'd be missing the whole point.

No comments:

Post a Comment