Monday, June 29, 2015

Quick thoughts on same sex marriage decision

So I just returned from a lovely vacation out in Colorado and I left my cell phone in Indiana and didn't get online for two weeks, and it was glorious!


Of course, as I've been away, the SCOTUS came down with it's marriage decision.

A few quick comments:

1) I can't help but chuckle at the comments I've received from some that say "where's your comments about gay marriage - are you sulking and hiding?"

This is so fascinating because these same people say that I talk about same sex marriage and am obsessed with the topic, but they run here and wonder where my comments are when something like this happens?  So would you like me to talk about the topic or not?


2) 150 years ago the Supreme Court said an African American could not be a citizen of the United States.  50 years ago the Supreme Court said a woman has a right to an abortion.  The Supreme Court gets things wrong, and just like Roe. v. Wade, Catholics will continue to work to overturn this terrible piece of jurisprudence.


3) The result certainly doesn't surprise me.  Can anyone produce any substantial evidence of the Catholic Church making a serious effort to explain its teaching to the American people on this topic?  Of course not.


4)  Tolkien is very poignant on this topic: "Actually I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect ‘history’ to be anything but a ‘long defeat’— though it contains some samples or glimpses of final victory."