Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Today's Tolkien Quotes

I turn to the Lord today...and also to J.R.R. Tolkien.  Three of my favorite quotes from him seem apropos this morning.

1)  "All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost, the old that are strong do not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring, renewed shall be blade that is broken, the crownless again shall be king."

      indeed, preaching in a few weeks on Christ the King Sunday will certainly be much easier given the election results


2)  Frodo: "I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
     Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"


3)  (from the film) "I'm glad to be with you Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things!"

I love this one because it shows that even as the world is crashing down around folks, as it has many times in the past, what really matters is love and friendship - the things that no one can beat out of you or kill from without.  "Faith Hope and Love remain, and the greatest of these is love!"  I still likely have Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family and friends, I still have great friends and I still have the Lord, and I think it is those realizations that have given strength to the persecuted of our glorious past.