Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Ash Wednesday 2024

 2 Things for Ash Wednesday


1) Give up something that you never want to go back to.  10 years ago, I gave up TV for Lent and on Easter I started watching TV again.  The next year, I gave up TV for Lent, and after Lent I was hardly watching it, but by the time Lent rolled around again, I was back watching an hour a day.  I gave up TV for a third lent...and now, for the last 4 years or so, I don't even miss TV.  


2) Pick at least one partner who will hold you accountable.  I have always had a gym membership, and I have noticed that the gym crowd swells on January 2nd from all of the people who make New Year's resolutions, but a week later it is always back to the regulars.  But I have also noticed another thing...the aerobics classes and exercise classes that meet every week...they keep coming after January 7th and come all year...why...because there is a community and there is accountability..."where's Jan...oh she is on vacation in Florida...she'll be back next week"  Maybe you are a part of a Bible study or a small group...let them know what you are doing and meet weekly to pray and talk about how you are doing with your Lenten resolutions.



No comments:

Post a Comment