Thursday, January 9, 2014

Best Christmas Songs

As Christmas time continues, I say one of the best ways to keep the flame burning is to continue to listen to good Christmas music.  I wanted to share my favorite Christmas Songs, and favorite versions of those songs.  I'd love to hear yours.  I'm looking to expand my catalog!

1. Videte Miraculum (Tallis) - Stile Antico - Click here to listen

Videte is a command to "see" - so "SEE the miracle!"  May we see it indeed!



2.  Oh Holy Night - Home Alone Choir - Click here to listen

Thank you John Williams!



3.  Carol of the Bells - Home Alone Choir- Click here to listen

For a kind of snarky Christmas movie, Home Alone sure got two Christmas songs perfectly right!



4.  The First Noel - Crash Test Dummies - Click here to listen

Despite being unable to grow a beard at age 34, I actually can only contribute to a choir by singing bass.  The guy from Crash Test Dummies gave me hope that people who sing bass actually have a place besides barbershop quartets and Boyz II Men.  You may hate this version...but it's my favorite.



5.  What Child is This? - John Denver - Click here to listen

This video above has the most beautiful artwork in a Youtube video that I think I've ever seen.  Awesome!!!



6.  O Magnum Mysterium (Lauridsen) - Choir of Wells Cathedral - Click here to listen

"O Great Mystery!" - that about sums up Christmas!



7. The Angels Cried - Alan Jackson and Alison Krauss - Click here to listen

I am a country guy at heart, and these are two of my favorites.  Ms. Krauss even crosses over into my other favorite - bluegrass.  Alison Krauss may have the best voice I've ever heard.  Beautiful song.  And for all the Thomists waiting to pounce - yes I know that Angels do not have bodies so they can not actually cry; nonetheless I like the song.



8. O Come All Ye Faithful - Celine Dion - Click here to listen

That girl can belt out a song, and this is a song that needs to be belted out!



9. O Christmas Tree - Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Christmas) - Click here to listen

The whole Charlie Brown Christmas CD is worth a purchase!



10.  Gloria - Thomas Tallis (Tallis Scholars) - Click here to listen

Some Christmas I'm going to scrap together the money to have a choir come do this Mass with me on Christmas morning. 


What are your ten favorite?