Monday, September 24, 2012

Jim Gaffigan, Gregorian Chant, and the GIRM



Unfortunately, my mic messed up at the beginning, and so I cut out that part of the video. I talked at the beginning of the homily about my favorite comedian, Jim Gaffigan, who has a joke about chant. He says that his wife is the good Catholic in the family, and that in fact, she takes her faith so seriously, that she's like a Shiite Catholic! He also said she drags him to Mass and that it is really long, and he jokes how it seems like Catholics drag Mass out forever. He goes on to do a sort of mock chant "ah ah ah" looks at his watch "ah ah ah" and then he screams out "just say "AMEN" already!"

I noted that whether someone is joking about Mass or, as in a recent Hardees commercial, someone is really trying to convey the spirit of the Mass, what is referenced is chant.  The rest is in the homily. 

Yes I did preach for almost 20 minutes, but I think it was important, so get off my back! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Father for posting this. I did not realize how Gregorian Chant can help me to pray

    ReplyDelete